For Your Decorative Concrete Areas… YOU can do it!
With the beginning of summer here, the birds chirping and blue skies are here! Yeah! If you haven’t already, it’s time to get out in the yard and get ready for some good ol’ summertime fun. But Yowl – has Nature has left debris on your beautiful Sundek surfaces all winter and spring? No worries!! With just a few easy steps, you’ll look out at your pool deck, backyard oasis, patio, walkways and see summer fun waiting to happen. Let’s get started….
Because of the awesome Sundek Sealers and Finish Coats – Spring cleaning should be a snap! Let’s take a look at some of Mother Nature’s “winter and spring left overs” and talk about how to deal with them.
Let’s start with the basics – the debris that has been collecting on your deck surface since last Fall. I recommend doing a “deep cleaning” to prepare for your summertime fun. Here’s a quick checklist to get your deck ready for summer in seven easy steps!
1) Sweep or blow off all the obvious stuff such as leaves and dirt.
2) Hose down the deck with a high pressure hose nozzle to get rid of the next layer of surface grime. This can also be done with a pressure washer, but if you don’t own one a normal garden hose and your thumb should suffice.
3) Basic Cleaning – While the surface is still wet, you can use a number of very basic household cleaners to really get that Sundek texture sparkling clean. This list includes but is not limited to: Simple Green, TSP, and Oxyclean. I try to avoid is using detergents and soaps like Tide. These products can leave a soapy film that can make the surface slippery and be a magnet for future contaminants. Note: Sundeck Products also has a complete line of concrete cleaning products that are specifically designed for this job and can be purchased from your local Sundek Dealer.
4) Nooks & Crannies Cleanout – This next part of the “deep cleaning” project requires a little bit of elbow grease. Use a stiff bristled broom and working the cleaning solution into all those Sundek texture nooks and crannies. Let the solution sit for a few minutes but do not let it dry.
5) Hose down the deck again. Thoroughly hose off using a good spray nozzle and rinse again. You can also use your pressure washer in this step too which will really dig in and remove a lot of embedded material. Word of caution with the pressure washer- avoids hitting wood decks and other surfaces with high pressure. If you want to rinse or lightly clean other fragile surfaces, turn the air pressure down low and be careful as you go. The Sundek surface can handle much higher pressures.
6) Mildew and mold Treatment – You can treat your deck with “off the shelf” products that are specific for mildew and mold removal. As an alternative, you can also use 3 parts water to one part pool chlorine mix. It’s not a bad idea to let the solution soak on the mildew area for five or ten minutes before removing with a broom or water pressure. Heavy build ups may require repeated applications. Note: Always use caution when working with any chemicals including proper storage and disposal.
7) Hard water and vegetation stains – These are the most difficult to deal with when cleaning. There are a number of stain removal products on the market that do a pretty decent job. My recommendation is to follow the manufacturer’s directions for those retail cleaning products. Always use personal safety caution and be mindful of surrounding vegetation in the process.
This should get you all spruced up for summer time enjoyment!
YOU CAN DO IT; WE CAN HELP!!!
(Yes, just like Lowe’s, Sundek is standing by!)
The Bottom Line: You can do spring cleaning yourself, but if you just don’t have the time, your local Sundek Dealer is standing by to give you an estimate to clean your Sundek and any other concrete needing attention. If you have an older Sundek installation, consider getting a free quote for an Extended Warranty and get your Sundek looking brand new for years to come!
[button link=”https://www.sundek.com/dealers/quote” type=”big” color=”orange” newwindow=”yes”] CLICK HERE to have a Sundek expert contact you about your next decorative concrete project![/button]