Why concrete coatings are such a popular choice for pool deck repair:
Homeowners and commercial property owners love concrete coatings because they’re durable, easy to maintain, and they can be customized with colors, textures, and patterns of your choice.
Concrete lasts much longer than other materials. The exact number of years it lasts depends on the use, care, and abuse, but if cracks surface, they can be easily repaired. Unlike pavers, which can move and settle if not properly installed. Once set, the concrete will remain in place for many years to come.
With a sealer, your concrete surround will be protected from daily wear and tear and stains.
You can choose from many colors, textures, score lines, and custom designs that aren’t available with other materials. You can coordinate with the style of your home, outdoor patio, and even your landscaping. SUNDEK can create a number of looks including flagstone, slate, brick, granite, and more.
How much does it cost to resurface a pool deck?
The cost of resurfacing pool deck surrounds varies by region and the condition of the existing concrete surface. When working with one of our contractors, you’ll receive a customized quote based on a price per square foot.
Frequently asked questions
- A SUNDEK surface stays cooler than typical gray concrete, exposed aggregate, pavers, tile and even epoxy. Learn more about our cool deck options. But keep in mind that any surface will absorb heat on a hot day. If you live in an area with high summer temperatures or if your swimming pool is in a spot with full sun, we recommend choosing a light color which will absorb less heat than a dark color.
- Safety is one of our top priorities, so our products are designed to transform surfaces from slippery to non-slip. For more details, learn more about how we install anti-slip decorative concrete. (Please note that SUNDEK cannot be held responsible for slip and fall incidents.)
- Our coatings add a thickness of about two quarters stacked on top of each other (just under a quarter-inch). However, if a concrete surface is uneven, we use our blending overlay which can get up to 2 inches thick.
- Existing cracks won’t prevent you from getting the pool deck you want. SUNDEK can assess the cracks and figure out the best way to fix them before resurfacing.
- With proper cleaning and maintenance a SUNDEK surface can last 10 to 15 years, depending on use. We have seen surfaces last up to 25 years!
SUNDEK can help you create a look you love. With our variety of colors, textures, and other effects, the options are endless.
We offer many colors to choose from, ranging from neutral to bold and vibrant. To see color options, take a look at our color charts. If you don’t see the exact color you want, speak with your local SUNDEK contractor about custom colors.
Textures, Patterns & Masonry Effects
You can get unique designs using saw cuts, aggregates, various textures, and score lines (borders, bands, stars, and other patterns). If you love the look and feel of wood, flagstone, slate, or other materials, SUNDEK can help you get that look without breaking the bank. The surface will also be more durable since you can coat it with a finish that protects it from stains and daily wear and tear.
After you have chosen a design you like, take a look at options for concrete overlays and acrylic top coatings. Feeling overwhelmed by all the options? Don’t forget that you can always contact a local contractor for help!
How to resurface a pool deck (installation)
Here’s an overview of the pool deck resurfacing process (details vary depending on which products are used):
- Prepare & Repair. Etch, grind, or shot blast the concrete surface to make it porous. Fix cracks or other existing damage.
- Clean & Prime. Pressure wash and let surface thoroughly dry. Apply primer if necessary.
- Mix Product. Following instructions, mix the product to prepare it for application. Mix in color if necessary.
- Apply overlay. Depending on the desired look, apply the overlay by spraying, rolling, or troweling.
- Cure & Seal. After the overlay cures, add a sealer for additional protection, greater strength, and enhanced stain resistance.
Concrete coatings are not easy to apply. Our professional contractors can do it for you. Find a local contractor.
To keep your surface in great condition, use a broom or mop to remove dust, grass clippings, or other debris every few weeks. You can simply spray off the surface with a hose to resolve any dirty spots.
Even though several of our top coatings are chemical and moisture resistant, it’s important to clean chemical spills as quickly as possible. For stubborn spots, you can use commercial cleaners, but they need to be non-abrasive and formulated for the surface. You can use a pressure washer if necessary.
What are the options for pool deck coatings?
When deciding on a coating, there are several factors to consider including color, texture, pattern, and overall care. SUNDEK has a variety of coating systems available so you can get a pool deck with the qualities you’re looking for. Remember that you can apply any design to nearby pathways, patios, or other concrete surfaces to create a cohesive look.
You don’t need to select just one options-you can mix and match. For guidance on choosing which system is right for you, or to discuss design ideas, contact a local contractor or check out our project gallery.
SUNDEK Products for Pool Decks
This acrylic spray product is resistant to UV damage, easy to maintain, and offers a non-slip and comfortable walking surface. You can also customize its look with colors, textures, and patterns of your choice. For these reasons and more, it’s our most popular product for pool decks.
This finish combines the durability and easy maintenance of concrete with slip-resistance of sand. It consists of our water-based acrylic finish coat combined with aluminum oxide, making the surface slip resistant and protecting it against weather and environmental pollutants.
This protective clear concrete sealer makes the surface easier to clean and maintain. It also helps the surface withstand heavy foot traffic. You can add fine-grain aggregates to this coating to ensure maximum slip resistance.
This water-based concrete stain is a combination of liquid pigments and soluble polymers, making it perfect for outdoor applications. You can layer SunH2O with multiple colors to give it a unique appearance.
Stamped concrete enables you to mimic the appearance of natural materials like river rock, cobblestone, wood, brick, slate, flagstone, and more. Since it creates a textured pattern with grooves, it also reduces the risk of falling.