Reasons to resurface your driveway
We've worked with clients who are resurfacing their driveways to get an updated look, but the most common reasons to resurface is because the existing concrete driveway is damaged. If your driveway has any of the following problems, we can repair it in a matter of days:
- Driveway cracks
- Salt damage
- Crumbling surface
Cost of resurfacing a concrete driveway
The cost of concrete resurfacing varies by region, and the cost of your project depends on the state of your existing driveway and what design you want. When working with one of our dealers, you will receive a custom quote based on a price per square foot. Contact your local dealer to get an estimate.
Frequently asked questions
- Concrete resurfacing begins with an existing concrete surface. After preparing the surface, a concrete overlay (also called a concrete coating) is applied to the existing concrete. See our product and system options.
- A concrete overlay will last for many years when it’s correctly applied and protected by a sealer, even if there’s heavy vehicle and foot traffic. After having concrete driveway resurfacing done, keep up with maintenance and reapply sealer when necessary to keep your driveway looking fresh longer.
- Because driveways need to bear a lot of weight, it’s important to get the thickness right. At a minimum, a concrete driveway needs to be at least 4 inches thick. According to the Concrete Network, making your driveway 5 inches thick will add to the cost, but it will also increase its load-bearing capacity by 50%. The SUNDEK dealer you work with can help you figure out what will be best for your needs.
- Yes. Stamped concrete is a great option and is just as durable as a smooth, flat surface.
- Yes. Before applying the concrete coating, we will repair any existing damage. Learn why resurfacing your driveway is better than replacing your driveway.
Your driveway is the first thing people see when they get to your home or business, and SUNDEK can help you design one with a look you love. We have many products to choose from that offer a variety of colors, patterns, textures, and masonry effects . If you’re having a hard time deciding, take a look at our Driveways photo gallery.
You can also contact your local SUNDEK dealer to discuss options.
Installation of a SUNDEK driveway coating
Here’s an overview of the installation process (details vary depending on which products are used):
- Prepare & Repair. Etch, grind, or shot blast the concrete surface to make it porous. Fix cracks or other existing damage.
- Clean & Prime. Pressure wash and let surface thoroughly dry. Apply primer if necessary.
- Mix Product. Following instructions, mix the product to prepare it for application. Mix in color if necessary.
- Apply overlay. Depending on the desired look, apply the overlay by spraying, rolling, or troweling.
- Add Patterns & Texture. This is completed using hand-trowels, rakes, stamps and other specialty tools.
- Cure & Seal. After the overlay cures, add a sealer for additional protection. Customers often ask us if a concrete driveway needs to be sealed, and our answer is always yes. A sealer will preserve the look of your driveway for longer. It also enhances its stain resistance and makes it easier to maintain.
Resurfacing a concrete driveway is not easy. Our professional dealers can do it for you. Find a local dealer.
The best way to lengthen the lifespan of your concrete driveway is to invest in a sealer. Keep in mind that even high-quality sealers need to be reapplied (reapplying a sealer is less expensive than having to get your driveway resurfaced again). Talk to your SUNDEK dealer about how often you’ll need to reseal your driveway.
Aside from applying a sealer, maintenance includes using a broom or mop to remove dust, grass clippings, or other debris every so often. You can also spray off the surface with a hose to resolve any dirty spots. Get more concrete cleaning tips.
We suggest using our product Sunspot to remove stubborn stains, but you can use other cleaners as long as they are non-abrasive and formulated for the surface. You can use a pressure washer if necessary. Also, see our recommendations for removing tire marks.
Although several of our top coatings are chemical and moisture resistant, we recommend that you clean chemical spills as quickly as possible.