Posts By: Sundek Coatings
Many people still have the misconception that epoxy floors are only used in residential garages and commercial mechanic shops. While these are common applications, this flooring solution is far more versatile. For instance, this is an ideal choice for hair salons. Among the many benefits, six stand out as being the most important.
1. High Durability and Strength – Epoxy floors are extremely durable and strong. Hair salons see a tremendous amount of foot traffic, so having a floor that can stand up to daily wear and tear is essential.
2. Resistant to Chemicals – Various dyes and other chemicals are used in hair salons. If dropped on a standard floor, it would be stained or seriously damaged. However, products like SunEpoxy 54 and SunEpoxy 100 provide optimal protection. These coatings are highly resistant to multiple chemicals, as well as water and food spills, impact, and more.
3. Easier Cleaning and Maintenance – Another benefit is that both cleaning and maintenance are a breeze. This involves nothing more than sweeping and damp mopping as needed.
4. Improved Safety – Especially in busy hair salons, stylists, hair washers, and front desk personnel scramble to stay on schedule. This creates a risk of falling or slipping. Because epoxy floors are naturally resistant to slippage, employee safety increases. This also reduces the risk of injury for patrons. Yet another safety factor is that this flooring system is resistant to fire.
5. Enhanced Aesthetics – Epoxy floors can be enhanced with color and metallic flakes. This dramatically enhances the floor and the overall decor of the hair salon. This type of flooring can also be patterned or textured, which further enhances the appearance of the business.
Whether you are interested in having a concrete patio, deck, walkway, or pool deck sealed, it is essential that the installer use the right sealer. After all, not all outdoor concrete sealers are the same. For example, there can be differences between quality, longevity, color options, application techniques, and more. Therefore, it is important to learn what your options are and the benefits that each provides.
You have a choice of four main types of outdoor concrete sealers, including penetrating, acrylics, polyurethanes, and epoxies.
- Penetrating – These sealers are formulated to penetrate the surface of concrete, where they react to chemicals within the concrete itself. This makes them perfect for shielding against moisture and deicing chemicals. Because these outdoor concrete sealers create an invisible layer of protection, no change occurs to the surface. For protection against the elements, and especially for surfaces subjected to freeze/thaw cycles and corrosion, penetrating sealers are the best.
- Acrylics – Acrylics are available in a nice selection of sheen levels. Not only do these sealers enhance the aesthetics of exposed aggregate and colored stamped concrete, they offer outstanding protection against chlorides and water. For that reason, acrylic sealers are a great choice around the pool and spa area. While these sealers are available in both water-based and solvent-based formulas, those with a solvent base typically enhance color much better. Products like SunColor and SunSand produce superior results.
- Polyurethanes – Whenever a high-build protective film is required, polyurethane decorative concrete sealers are an excellent choice. In addition to various sheen levels, the finish is non-yellowing and transparent. For enhancing the appearance of stamped, exposed aggregate, and colored concrete surfaces, polyurethane sealers work great. Almost twice as thick as acrylic sealers, the surface ends up being extremely resistant to abrasions and chemicals.
- Epoxies – Just like polyurethane decorative concrete sealers, epoxies provide a high-build protective layer on top of a concrete surface. Because these sealers are available in clear, pigmented, or colored formulas, you can choose based on your preferred design aesthetic. The primary benefits include a concrete surface that is hard, abrasion resistant, and long lasting.
Regardless of the decorative concrete product or technique used on any concrete surface, the installation is not complete until a high-quality sealer is applied. Decorative concrete sealers also enrich color intensity, regardless if a stain, dye, or integral color is used on the concrete, as well as create an amazing sheen on the surface. They prevent chemicals, stains, grease, oil, and dirt from penetrating the surface, and they prevent or minimize the intrusion of chlorides and water.
Compared to jack hammering, removal and replacing, decorative concrete resurfacing is usually a much better option. Although most driveways last up to 25 years or longer, some conditions can reduce their lifespan. These same conditions can leave driveways with cracks, spalling, and pitting issues. If you are facing this situation, you might be concerned that your driveway is too damaged for resurfacing.
In some instances, the damage can be severe enough that a complete driveway replacement is recommended, but in most cases, the surface can be repaired and then resurfaced. When professionally done, the driveway appears and functions as if brand new.
To understand the advantages of decorative concrete resurfacing, look briefly at the other two options. When a driveway is patched, it becomes more structurally sound, but from an aesthetics standpoint, it is unsightly. Every filled crack and pit is clearly visible. As imagined, this affects the overall appearance of the home. With a completely new driveway installation, the entire existing slab must be removed. This process is messy, and it takes quite a bit of time to complete.
In comparison, decorative concrete resurfacing involves making repairs to mild to moderate damage, prepping the surface, and then applying an overlay of your choosing. To achieve the desired results, it is important for the installer to use top-of-the-line products, like Tuscan, SunStamp, or SunStone.
Numerous benefits go hand in hand with decorative concrete resurfacing. As mentioned, not only are existing flaws on your driveway covered up, an overlay upgrades its appearance. You will have multiple choices of color, pattern, and texture, regardless of the chosen technique. That way, your newly resurfaced driveway will complement your home and vice versa.
One important thing to note is that prior to decorative concrete resurfacing, the underlying cause of the problem needs to be identified. Only then can the issue be fixed so that future problems do not arise.
What little boy would not love having his own set of train tracks in his bedroom? While this might seem like a farfetched idea, this design, as well as many others, can be achieved using decorative concrete. When the appropriate product and technique are used, the results are extremely realistic.
For this particular design, you have an abundance of color options, although the two that typically work the best are a gray decorative concrete surface coupled with various shades of black and gray to create the tracks and a marbled deep brown to create the wooden crosspieces. Of course, there is no reason that you have to limit yourself to those color options. Be as creative and colorful as you want.
To create train tracks for your boy’s bedroom, epoxy floors work great. In addition to being available in numerous colors, this type of decorative concrete produces a gorgeous shiny finish that makes the tracks stand out even more. Epoxy flooring offers many additional benefits, such as being strong, durable, long lasting, highly resistant to multiple things, and even comfortable to walk and play on.
Stained decorative concrete is yet another option. In addition to being durable and strong, like epoxy, stained concrete is also vibrant and easy to maintain. Available in water- and acetone-based solutions, stains come in a huge variety of colors. While there are many great products on the market, one that stands out is SunDye.
As you can imagine, there is a definite skill associated with creating train tracks for a boy’s bedroom. By hiring a professional who has special experience and expertise working with decorative concrete in this way, you will be amazed and your son will be beyond thrilled.