Posts By: Sundek Coatings
Acrylic coatings are not only beautiful but also versatile. Available in water- and solvent-based formulations, acrylics serve as a sealer that protects both horizontal and vertical concrete surfaces.
Compared to epoxy coatings and polyurethane sealers, coatings formulated with acrylic resin are much thinner. That means when used outdoors or indoors on floors, regular maintenance is required. However, most reputable installers apply several coats, which helps remedy that. Acrylic coatings prevent wear and tear, and waxing is not required.
Many people prefer using acrylic coatings due to their benefits. In addition to serving as a thin protective film on concrete surfaces, these coatings are non-yellowing and UV resistant. Also, acrylics offer excellent protection against chlorine and water. For that reason, it is common to find these coatings applied on pool decks. However, because acrylics come in several levels of sheen, they are also outstanding for indoor applications, such as enhancing stamped, exposed aggregate, and colored concrete floors and other surfaces.
Acrylic coatings are ideal for quick-turnaround projects. As an example, if you have a dinner party planned or an upcoming pool party, acrylics dry in about an hour. As a result, you can have a coating applied and be ready for your special occasion in no time.
Although numerous products exist, SunColor is one of the best on the market today. This water-based acrylic is easy to clean and abrasion resistant. This product is also available in several beautiful colors, including Coral, Mojave Sand, Brick Red, Peking Blue, Brandy Wine, Indian Wheat, Slate Blue, and a host of others. With so many options, you can give personality and character to any interior or exterior concrete surface. For something extraordinary, acrylic colors are customizable. Give your home’s interior a boost or get ready for summer by protecting your outdoor decorative concrete.
While choosing the right garage floor system is important regardless of how you use this space, your decision becomes even more critical if you spend time in the garage rebuilding cars. Regardless if this is a hobby or a source of income, you need a floor that can meet the high demands associated with rebuilding cars.
Epoxy and polyaspartic solutions are at the top of the list of possibilities. These coatings are formulated to withstand a tremendous amount of use and abuse. As an example, SunOne is a unique polyaspartic concrete coating that offers a host of benefits. This garage floor system can stand up to things like hot tire marks, dropped tools, oil and grease, chemical spills, and more.
As a bonus, this polyaspartic coating looks stunning thanks to the broad selection of colors and textures. Another unique feature of this garage floor system is that standing and walking on the surface are more comfortable. Because of that, you can spend longer hours rebuilding cars without experiencing muscle fatigue.
An acid-based stain, such as SunH20, is yet another excellent solution for a garage floor system, especially if you want incredible benefits coupled with a unique aesthetic. You probably spend as much time as possible rebuilding cars, so why not give your space personality and character?
This type of stain offers two standout features. First, because the stain penetrates the concrete surface, the color is permanent. Second, after the stain penetrates, it reacts to chemicals in the concrete, which results in a gorgeous and one-of-a-kind look. That means that even if all of your car-building friends choose the same color stain, your garage floors will look unique. The bottom line is that you need a garage floor system that is strong, durable, and long lasting, as well as pleasing to the eye.
Having a huge selection of decorative concrete systems is exciting, each with unique color, texture, pattern, and design options. However, because there are so many choices, you may feel a little overwhelmed when trying to select just one. Even though each system is unique, they are all exceptional. To make the decision-making process easier, it would help to spend a little time learning about the various systems and what they offer. Along with the information provided, you can always speak to a Sundek representative, who will gladly guide you through the process based on your specific needs.
- Concrete Stains – You have a choice of water- and acid-based stains, both outstanding decorative concrete systems. The difference between the two is that an acid-based stain penetrates the concrete surface, where it reacts to salts and minerals in the concrete. As a result, the color becomes a permanent component with a one-of-a-kind marbled or variegated aesthetic. A water-based stain does not penetrate concrete, but it produces a gorgeous finish that can be enhanced when blended with several colors. A liquid concentrated dye is also available, which dries quickly and comes in stunning colors.
- Decorative Concrete Overlays – Used to repair and resurface existing concrete surfaces, decorative overlays create a new surface that looks gorgeous while being strong, durable, and long lasting. You can stick with the original pattern or design, or the contractor or installer can create something entirely different. A few examples of the best products on the market include Classic Texture, Tuscan, SunStone, and SunStamp.
- Polyaspartic and Epoxy – These decorative concrete surfaces are also used indoors and outdoors as strong, durable, long-lasting, and beautiful coatings. For applications where fast curing is essential, polyaspartic is ideal. While epoxy floors are commonly used in garages, service departments, mechanic shops, and various industrial environments, they are a great solution for the interior of homes and businesses, as well. Epoxy floors come in a range of colors and can be enhanced with gorgeous metallic flakes.
- Acrylic Finishes – Acrylic finishes, which are another type of decorative concrete systems, produce an opaque appearance. Used for indoor and outdoor applications, these finishes can be applied over various concrete surfaces, including decorative, bare, and textured.
- Clear Sealers – While not true decorative concrete systems per se, clear sealers offer a number of benefits. Not only do sealers provide an extra layer for optimal protection, they can be colored to enhance decorative systems in place. These sealers enhance protection against stains, daily foot and vehicle traffic, abrasions, and chemicals.
For a game arcade to provide consumers with the ultimate experience, two primary things are required. First, an arcade needs a great selection of quality gaming machines. Second, it needs decor that entices people to come inside and then stay. When walking into a reputable arcade, people immediately notice certain things, including sounds, lights, color, and design. Smart business owners know that concrete floors are a great way to enhance the overall experience.
Concrete floors are available in many unique color, pattern, texture, and design options. For a game arcade, floors with a bold graphic design have a better opportunity for achieving success. With the right product, virtually any aesthetic is achievable. Therefore, arcade owners can choose a design that complements a specific theme or color scheme. They can also choose floors that attract a specific age group.
One example is a solid colored floor using the Classic Texture product, coupled with fun gaming terms or designs. Even different colors can be used to create sections based on the type of games. In other words, the area with pinball machines could be a bright orange with a pinball design in the center. For shooting games, the floor could be bright red with a gun design featured.
Not only do concrete floors enhance the interior space and improve the gamers’ experience, they work well for marketing purposes. Products like SunEpoxy 54 or SunEpoxy 100 in a darker color with metallic flakes added could be the foundation. In the center of the floor, a bright and bold design featuring the company’s logo could be added. This creates a wow factor while marketing the brand.
With endless possibilities, arcade owners can be as creative as they want with concrete floors. As people enter an arcade, they initially look down to see where they are walking, so using the right colors and designs is important for making a huge and lasting impact.
Usually, people searching for a reputable decorative concrete contractor will follow a long list of questions or spend hours conducting research to make sure they hire the best one. While this is perfectly fine, you can save both time and effort by learning some quick and easy steps that will help you identify a great contractor almost immediately, whether talking on the phone or meeting in person.
- Online Credentials – Before contacting a decorative concrete contractor, spend about five to ten minutes looking for information on the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List websites. Those two sites alone will reveal a history of closed or open complaints, as well as the type of complaints filed.
- Products Used – Asking what products are used will tell you a lot about a decorative concrete contractor. An expert who uses only top-of-the-line products genuinely cares about the caliber of work performed. For instance, if a contractor uses products like SunStamp, SunCanvas, Tuscan, and SunEpoxy 100, you can feel confident in that person’s ability and dedication to excellence.
- Area of Specialty – In addition, quickly hone in on the area of specialty. While a decorative concrete contractor may be well-versed in all methods, such as stamped concrete, stained concrete, and resurfacing, if you want a specific type of application, make sure the contractor specializes in that area.
- Licensing, Certification, Insurance, and Training – Verify that a contractor is properly licensed, certified, and insured. A qualified contractor will have completed extensive training while continuing to train to be the best that he or she can be.
- Transparency – Regardless if you are requesting proof of licensing, certification, or insurance or asking for references, a superior decorative concrete contractor will be 100 percent transparent. No matter what questions you ask or information you want to see, the right contractor will be quick to provide whatever you need.