Posts By: Sundek Coatings
Having a huge selection of decorative concrete systems is exciting, each with unique color, texture, pattern, and design options. However, because there are so many choices, you may feel a little overwhelmed when trying to select just one. Even though each system is unique, they are all exceptional. To make the decision-making process easier, it would help to spend a little time learning about the various systems and what they offer. Along with the information provided, you can always speak to a Sundek representative, who will gladly guide you through the process based on your specific needs.
- Concrete Stains – You have a choice of water- and acid-based stains, both outstanding decorative concrete systems. The difference between the two is that an acid-based stain penetrates the concrete surface, where it reacts to salts and minerals in the concrete. As a result, the color becomes a permanent component with a one-of-a-kind marbled or variegated aesthetic. A water-based stain does not penetrate concrete, but it produces a gorgeous finish that can be enhanced when blended with several colors. A liquid concentrated dye is also available, which dries quickly and comes in stunning colors.
- Decorative Concrete Overlays – Used to repair and resurface existing concrete surfaces, decorative overlays create a new surface that looks gorgeous while being strong, durable, and long lasting. You can stick with the original pattern or design, or the contractor or installer can create something entirely different. A few examples of the best products on the market include Classic Texture, Tuscan, SunStone, and SunStamp.
- Polyaspartic and Epoxy – These decorative concrete surfaces are also used indoors and outdoors as strong, durable, long-lasting, and beautiful coatings. For applications where fast curing is essential, polyaspartic is ideal. While epoxy floors are commonly used in garages, service departments, mechanic shops, and various industrial environments, they are a great solution for the interior of homes and businesses, as well. Epoxy floors come in a range of colors and can be enhanced with gorgeous metallic flakes.
- Acrylic Finishes – Acrylic finishes, which are another type of decorative concrete systems, produce an opaque appearance. Used for indoor and outdoor applications, these finishes can be applied over various concrete surfaces, including decorative, bare, and textured.
- Clear Sealers – While not true decorative concrete systems per se, clear sealers offer a number of benefits. Not only do sealers provide an extra layer for optimal protection, they can be colored to enhance decorative systems in place. These sealers enhance protection against stains, daily foot and vehicle traffic, abrasions, and chemicals.
For a game arcade to provide consumers with the ultimate experience, two primary things are required. First, an arcade needs a great selection of quality gaming machines. Second, it needs decor that entices people to come inside and then stay. When walking into a reputable arcade, people immediately notice certain things, including sounds, lights, color, and design. Smart business owners know that concrete floors are a great way to enhance the overall experience.
Concrete floors are available in many unique color, pattern, texture, and design options. For a game arcade, floors with a bold graphic design have a better opportunity for achieving success. With the right product, virtually any aesthetic is achievable. Therefore, arcade owners can choose a design that complements a specific theme or color scheme. They can also choose floors that attract a specific age group.
One example is a solid colored floor using the Classic Texture product, coupled with fun gaming terms or designs. Even different colors can be used to create sections based on the type of games. In other words, the area with pinball machines could be a bright orange with a pinball design in the center. For shooting games, the floor could be bright red with a gun design featured.
Not only do concrete floors enhance the interior space and improve the gamers’ experience, they work well for marketing purposes. Products like SunEpoxy 54 or SunEpoxy 100 in a darker color with metallic flakes added could be the foundation. In the center of the floor, a bright and bold design featuring the company’s logo could be added. This creates a wow factor while marketing the brand.
With endless possibilities, arcade owners can be as creative as they want with concrete floors. As people enter an arcade, they initially look down to see where they are walking, so using the right colors and designs is important for making a huge and lasting impact.
Usually, people searching for a reputable decorative concrete contractor will follow a long list of questions or spend hours conducting research to make sure they hire the best one. While this is perfectly fine, you can save both time and effort by learning some quick and easy steps that will help you identify a great contractor almost immediately, whether talking on the phone or meeting in person.
- Online Credentials – Before contacting a decorative concrete contractor, spend about five to ten minutes looking for information on the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List websites. Those two sites alone will reveal a history of closed or open complaints, as well as the type of complaints filed.
- Products Used – Asking what products are used will tell you a lot about a decorative concrete contractor. An expert who uses only top-of-the-line products genuinely cares about the caliber of work performed. For instance, if a contractor uses products like SunStamp, SunCanvas, Tuscan, and SunEpoxy 100, you can feel confident in that person’s ability and dedication to excellence.
- Area of Specialty – In addition, quickly hone in on the area of specialty. While a decorative concrete contractor may be well-versed in all methods, such as stamped concrete, stained concrete, and resurfacing, if you want a specific type of application, make sure the contractor specializes in that area.
- Licensing, Certification, Insurance, and Training – Verify that a contractor is properly licensed, certified, and insured. A qualified contractor will have completed extensive training while continuing to train to be the best that he or she can be.
- Transparency – Regardless if you are requesting proof of licensing, certification, or insurance or asking for references, a superior decorative concrete contractor will be 100 percent transparent. No matter what questions you ask or information you want to see, the right contractor will be quick to provide whatever you need.
Many people still have the misconception that epoxy floors are only used in residential garages and commercial mechanic shops. While these are common applications, this flooring solution is far more versatile. For instance, this is an ideal choice for hair salons. Among the many benefits, six stand out as being the most important.
1. High Durability and Strength – Epoxy floors are extremely durable and strong. Hair salons see a tremendous amount of foot traffic, so having a floor that can stand up to daily wear and tear is essential.
2. Resistant to Chemicals – Various dyes and other chemicals are used in hair salons. If dropped on a standard floor, it would be stained or seriously damaged. However, products like SunEpoxy 54 and SunEpoxy 100 provide optimal protection. These coatings are highly resistant to multiple chemicals, as well as water and food spills, impact, and more.
3. Easier Cleaning and Maintenance – Another benefit is that both cleaning and maintenance are a breeze. This involves nothing more than sweeping and damp mopping as needed.
4. Improved Safety – Especially in busy hair salons, stylists, hair washers, and front desk personnel scramble to stay on schedule. This creates a risk of falling or slipping. Because epoxy floors are naturally resistant to slippage, employee safety increases. This also reduces the risk of injury for patrons. Yet another safety factor is that this flooring system is resistant to fire.
5. Enhanced Aesthetics – Epoxy floors can be enhanced with color and metallic flakes. This dramatically enhances the floor and the overall decor of the hair salon. This type of flooring can also be patterned or textured, which further enhances the appearance of the business.
Whether you are interested in having a concrete patio, deck, walkway, or pool deck sealed, it is essential that the installer use the right sealer. After all, not all outdoor concrete sealers are the same. For example, there can be differences between quality, longevity, color options, application techniques, and more. Therefore, it is important to learn what your options are and the benefits that each provides.
You have a choice of four main types of outdoor concrete sealers, including penetrating, acrylics, polyurethanes, and epoxies.
- Penetrating – These sealers are formulated to penetrate the surface of concrete, where they react to chemicals within the concrete itself. This makes them perfect for shielding against moisture and deicing chemicals. Because these outdoor concrete sealers create an invisible layer of protection, no change occurs to the surface. For protection against the elements, and especially for surfaces subjected to freeze/thaw cycles and corrosion, penetrating sealers are the best.
- Acrylics – Acrylics are available in a nice selection of sheen levels. Not only do these sealers enhance the aesthetics of exposed aggregate and colored stamped concrete, they offer outstanding protection against chlorides and water. For that reason, acrylic sealers are a great choice around the pool and spa area. While these sealers are available in both water-based and solvent-based formulas, those with a solvent base typically enhance color much better. Products like SunColor and SunSand produce superior results.
- Polyurethanes – Whenever a high-build protective film is required, polyurethane decorative concrete sealers are an excellent choice. In addition to various sheen levels, the finish is non-yellowing and transparent. For enhancing the appearance of stamped, exposed aggregate, and colored concrete surfaces, polyurethane sealers work great. Almost twice as thick as acrylic sealers, the surface ends up being extremely resistant to abrasions and chemicals.
- Epoxies – Just like polyurethane decorative concrete sealers, epoxies provide a high-build protective layer on top of a concrete surface. Because these sealers are available in clear, pigmented, or colored formulas, you can choose based on your preferred design aesthetic. The primary benefits include a concrete surface that is hard, abrasion resistant, and long lasting.
Regardless of the decorative concrete product or technique used on any concrete surface, the installation is not complete until a high-quality sealer is applied. Decorative concrete sealers also enrich color intensity, regardless if a stain, dye, or integral color is used on the concrete, as well as create an amazing sheen on the surface. They prevent chemicals, stains, grease, oil, and dirt from penetrating the surface, and they prevent or minimize the intrusion of chlorides and water.